We gained our name from the Royal Canadian Navy’s fourth Aircraft Carrier, HMCS MAGNIFICENT. She served the RCN from 24 January 1948 until 14 June 1957.
MAGNIFICENT was the second largest ship to serve the Canadian Navy. She had a crew of over 1000 men and a length of 695 feet, beam of 80 feet and a draught of 21 feet. Her primary weapon was her 30 aircraft.
“Maggie” as she was nicknamed served for 9 years in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, visiting many foreign ports and operating with NATO
During the Suez crisis she departed Canada and on her decks were 233 military vehicles and 406 of our troops to help out in the Middle East as part of the United Nations Emergency Force. MAGNIFICENT was broken up in Scotland, in 1965.
Right is HMS MAGNIFICENT (III), battleship. All the ships bearing this Magnificent name have earned the following Battle Honours.
OFF MARTINIQUE 1780
THE SAINTES 1782